Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Chinese Halloween

I have a few long overdue school stories to share, complete with ADORABLE pictures!

A few weeks ago, I walked into the small class to teach my lesson, but all of the kids were in their puffy vests, lined up with water bottles--field trip! Clearly, there was no reason to notify me in advance. I changed my shoes, grabbed my coat and water bottle, and piled onto a van-bus with 22 children and 7 adults. I had no idea where we were headed, but an hour and a half later (gotta love, Beijing traffic), we pulled up to...a playground? Nope. Hands-on science museum (a la Discovery Place)? Nope. Anything remotely related to 2 year olds? Nope. The Military Museum/Museum of the China People's Revolution. Yes, we took 22 2-4 year olds to see how China became and maintained its Communist state. Now, as a teacher who has planned many a field trip, I don't think this would have been my first choice. [Lauren and] I always considered the age group and relative interests of our students. However, in China you take a field trip to take pictures, eat snacks, and pee in random places. 

PICS: As soon as we arrived, the kids were ushered to the front of the museum, where all of us posed for a picture (apparently one of the chaperons was there solely to photograph the kids). We did the same thing next to various cars, planes, and boats in the museum. The head teacher yelled a lot to keep the kids in order (when all they really wanted to do was pull on the chains that roped off the vehicles). That was the entire experience; we were in the museum for a sum total of 25 minutes.

PEE/EAT: On the bus, they pulled out a little portable potty, put a garbage bag on top, and had the kids use it throughout the 1.5 hour ride. Upon arrival, it was thrown out and a new garbage bag was used IN THE MIDDLE OF THE MUSEUM any time a child said "xiao bian" (pee-pee). Then that one was thrown out as we left and sat on a sidewalk to have a snack of bread and water/tea. As the kids finished, the teachers had them all stand in the dirt next to a tree, pull down their pants, and pee again before getting on the bus!!! The security guards thought it was adorable, as did the hordes of tourists looking on. I just kind of stood there and ushered the kids who had finished onto the bus. On the way home, they each got a banana and to pee on the garbage bag potty again. Then we got back to school and fed them lunch before naptime. It was an experience that completely summed up China: pride in a country, pictures with no real meaning behind them, eat a lot, and demonstrate bodily functions in public. Honestly, I think my eyes were bugging out for most of the field trip. I'm just sorry I didn't have my camera that day!

Luckily, I did have my camera for my school's Halloween party!  I co-coordinated with Susan, who works in the office and speaks some English. A group of us decorated the school's entrance and big auditorium:
This is what you see when you walk into the school.
Susan and I preparing for the party!
We co-emceed as well so she could translate for the teachers and kids, who were absolutely adorable! A few came to school with costumes, but most filed into the auditorium in teacher-made ensembles, consisting mostly of garbage bags and random accessories.
The youngest class (1.5-2 year-olds); these are the kids who cried when I first came.
Me with one of the 3-year-old classes.
Baby International Class--these are mine!
I love the bow on his head in front!
We started by showing pictures that related to Halloween and having the kids learn and practice the words. We then carved a Jack-o-Lantern and put a candle in it for them to see. Next up: mummies!  The kids helped wrap one teacher and one student in toilet paper and then we all sang a song. They thought it was hilarious.
This was followed by teachers bobbing for apples; everyone found this hysterical because they clearly had no idea what was going on. The teachers even coerced one of the janitors to get in on the fun!
Then it was time for the kids to grab candy from the string using their mouths (no hands):
A dinosaur, Snow White, and the only white kid in school (Australian parents, speaks only Chinese)
Finally, they all "trick or treated" around the school and received bags with an apple and a few pieces of candy. This culminated in the entire school circling the outside of the building, chanting "Trick or Treat! Happy Halloween!" It was awesome. I had a great time, and I know the kids were having fun. I'm looking forward to celebrating more foreign holidays at school!

1 comment: